Last Updated: 1 June 2020
Information We Collect
We collect information about you directly from you and automatically through your use of our Services. We may combine information collected from or about you from these various sources.
- Information We Collect Directly From You.We collect information about you directly from you. The information we collect varies depending on your interaction with our Services. For example, if you register to use our Services, we may request your user name, password, payment card information, and billing address. We will also collect any other information that you provide to us through our Services, such as your home address and phone number; your name, email address, and the contents of your message if you contact us through a Site or App; or your responses to survey questions.
- Information We Collect About You from Third Parties.We may collect information about you from third parties, including marketing companies, such as textbook marketing companies.
- Information We Collect Automatically Through Our Site.We automatically collect information about you through your use of our Services, including without limitation, your Internet protocol (IP) address, the type of browser you are using, domain name, the website or application that led you to our Services, the website or application to which you go after leaving our Services, the dates and times you access our Services; the device you are using; operating system; unique device identifier; preferred language; and mobile network information. We may combine this with other information that we collect about you. Please see our Cookies and Other Tracking Mechanismssection below for more information.
How We Use Your Information
We may use your information, including personal information, for the following purposes:
- Providing and Improving Our Services.To provide and maintain our Services; to improve our Services; to develop new features, products, or services; to authenticate users; to process payments; to fulfill user orders and requests; to perform technical operations, such as updating software; and for other customer service and support purposes.
- Marketing and Communications.To communicate with you about your account and use of our Services, including to send you product or service updates; to respond to your inquiries; to provide you with news and newsletters, special offers, promotions, and other information we think may interest you; and for other informational, marketing, or promotional purposes. Our communications with you may include communications via email and push notification. Please see our section regarding Your Choicesfor more information about how to change your email or push notification preferences.
- Research and Analytics.To analyze how you interact with our Services; to monitor and analyze usage and activity trends; and for other research, analytical, and statistical purposes.
- Legal Compliance.To comply with applicable legal or regulatory obligations, including as part of a judicial proceeding; to respond to a subpoena, warrant, court order, or other legal process; or as part of an investigation or request, whether formal or informal, from law enforcement or a governmental authority.
How We Disclose Your Information
- Service Providers (Processors).We may disclose your information to our vendors, service providers, agents, or others who perform functions on our behalf. For example, we may disclose your information to service providers to process payments on our behalf. As a data controller, Sugar Shack has authorized or contracted the list of data processors disclosed on this web page to process your data for the purposes described on that page. This list may be updated at any time at our discretion.
We may also disclose your information, including personal information, in the following ways:
- Business Transfers.We may disclose your information to another entity in connection with, including during negotiations of, an acquisition or merger, sale or transfer of a business unit or assets, bankruptcy proceeding, or as part of any other similar business transfer.
- Legal Compliance.We may disclose your information to comply with applicable legal or regulatory obligations, including as part of a judicial proceeding; in response to a subpoena, warrant, court order, or other legal process; or as part of an investigation or request, whether formal or informal, from law enforcement or a government official.
- Aggregate and De-Identified Information.We may disclose aggregate, anonymous, or de-identified information about users for marketing, advertising, research, compliance, or other purposes.
Cookies and Other Tracking Mechanisms
We may also use clear GIFs, pixel tags, and other technologies. Clear GIFs are tiny graphics with a unique identifier, similar in function to cookies. In contrast to cookies, which are stored on your computer's hard drive, clear GIFs are embedded invisibly on web pages. We may use clear GIFs (also known as web beacons, web bugs or pixel tags), in connection with our Site to, among other things, track the activities of Site visitors, help us manage content, and compile statistics about Site usage. We and our third party service providers also use clear GIFs in HTML emails to our customers, to help us track email response rates, identify when our emails are viewed, and track whether our emails are forwarded.
Do Not Track Disclosure
Our Services do not respond to Do Not Track signals. For more information about Do Not Track signals, please click here.
We have taken steps to help protect the personal information we collect. However, no data security measures can guarantee 100% security. You should take steps to protect against unauthorized access to your device and account by, among other things, choosing a robust password that nobody else knows or can easily guess and keeping your log-in information private. We are not responsible for any lost, stolen, or compromised passwords or for any activity on your account via unauthorized password activity.
- Right to Restrict Processing.You may request restrictions to the processing of your Personal Information. However, restriction applies only in certain circumstances and we retain the right to store your personal data unless other requested. In requesting that we restrict processing of your data, you may be forfeiting access to our services without the right to a refund of any monies paid.
- Right to Data Portability.You may obtain a copy of your Personal Information for your own use. You can only request copies of information that you have provided to us. To request a copy of your information, you must submit a request containing your name and online identifier to email@example.com.
- Right to Object. You may object to the processing of your data for direct marketing purposes. For example, we may send periodic promotional emails to you. You may opt out of such communications by following the opt-out instructions contained in the email. Please note that it may take up to ten (10) business days for us to process opt-out requests. If you download our App, we may send you push notifications. You may opt out of receiving push notifications by updating the push notification settings on your device. If you opt out of receiving emails about recommendations or other information we think may interest you, we may still send you emails about your account or any Services you have requested or received from us. We may still retain your data for other processing not relating to direct marketing purposes unless otherwise requested.
- Rights Relating to Automated Decision Making and Profiling.Unless explicit consent is acquired from you or a contractual requirement is created between you and us, we will not authorize or control any processing of your Personal Information relating to Automated decision-making or profiling.
Our Services are not targeted to children under thirteen (13) years of age and we do not knowingly collect personal information from children under 13. If we discover that a child under 13 has provided us with personal information, we will promptly delete such personal information from our systems.
Responsibilities Under FERPA
Occasionally, an educational agency or institution may provide to Sugar Shack information protected under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) (20 U.S.C. § 1232g (a)(4)(A); 34 CFR § 99.3). Sugar Shack accepts this information in order to offer educational services to students and educational institutions. We accept the minimum amount of personally identifiable information (PII) in order to provide our Services. Protected individuals are not required to provide written informed consent for the disclosure of certain Directory Information to third-party providers such as Sugar Shack. Sugar Shack accepts directory information from students and educational institutions limited to directory information excepted from the requirements of FERPA with the understanding that parents and eligible students are aware of the release of their information for the purposes of third parties’ providing educational services. Also, Sugar Shack remains committed to the right of protected individuals to control their data by “opting out” of educational services provided by us. Any user of our Services may at any time contact firstname.lastname@example.org to access, to amend, and to destroy information. The other provisions of this Policy apply to the use of our services and the collection of data and information. Parents or eligible students may seek more information about FERPA or the Directory Information Exception by visiting the Privacy Technical Assistance Center online at studentprivacy.ed.gov.
204 E. Dean Keeton Street, Stop C2200
Austin, TX 78712-1591